Wednesday, September 19, 2012

3 minutes....

So my school change the bell schedule this year from 48 minutes per class to 43-44 minutes per class.  Our 8 hour class schedule now includes a Homeroom silent reading time (which is working great!), but this old dog is having a tough time with the new trick.

It is funny after 6 years in the same school where I have worked hard on developing curriculum based on concepts not texts I have developed lessons that are 47 minutes -- and I find it hard to get down the 3 minutes!  I use to have timing and would end with just a few seconds to go, I had a feel for the bell schedule and what we could finish so there was limited idle time (I believe in no HW time in class -- it is just a waste).  Now I am running into the bell 2-3 times per day, we are working on a project, or a discussion, or practice problems....  I just have no feel anymore.

I am sure I will adjust - I think it is just funny how engrained I have become really and I think it is a good example of how easily you can get into a rut teaching.  I have thought/reflected on this and don't feel this is a rut, but it is comparable.....

No comments:

Post a Comment