Friday, August 3, 2012

Common Core Standards -- Is there enough time for real learning???

So am I sitting and thinking about where each of my classes will be starting this fall (and where they should be).  One of the great advantages of a small school is I know all 95 students at Juda; their strengths and their places that require more attention.  I am excited for another year -- we have had moderate success with an emphasis on skills that will help make all graduates college and career ready.  (I use the ACT as the benchmark for this measurement.)  I am now trying to tie the ACT emphasis, the common core and true mathematical applications together -- all while taking my students from their current math position forward.

My plan for the next few days (while recovering from minor knee surgery) is to take the HS common core and split the domain/standards into each of my classes (using a word document and actually putting the standards in order into each course).  From lowest to highest I currently teach the following:

Algebra 1A/Transition Math
Algebra 1B
Algebra 1
Geometry
Algebra 2
Senior Math
Pre-Calculus
Calculus (AP and UW-O credit)
 (Physics in every other odd year.... so 2013)

But my concern is really after placing each standard how do I accomplish the mathematical practices from the common core.  So it starts with placing each standard, but then the more important step is going to be the process of placing the practices -- to make sure that I am not simply drilling and killing a skill.

So that is the challenge, where to place all the standards while concentrating on the practices.  I believed when released that the HS standards were too numerous.  I will see how I feel after placing them.

But my question remains the same - Is there time for it all?  And if not.... What do we remove to allow time for real learning with the mathematical practices?


2 comments:

  1. How on earth do you teach so many preps? That's insane and seems to me to be humanly impossible.

    In those conditions, and given the insane amount of time that it takes to prepare for National Board certification, I don't see how achieving that certification would be humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you do things differently than other schools. Senior math is a guided study program -- mostly prepped over the summer, no teaching on daily basis (weekly work assignment creating). Algebra 1B uses the same text as Algebra 1 - just on different days. I do is use "book-exams" a lot (more than I like). Also I have created large google-doc projects for each class that helps open time for planning.

      But the great thing is I have only 95 students total and I have them every year, there is no where to hide. The staff makes it our mission to get them ready for life and in 6 years we have graduated all but 1 student. Yet it does take a lot of effort.

      I plan to make my classroom live on Ustream this year and will later blog about it - so you could watch me!

      With regards to NBCT I am still undecided but I am leaning to waiting until next year.

      Delete