Sunday, August 27, 2017

Thinking about why.... Learning Myths

Why do we do what we do in the classroom?  How much is based on data versus administration expectation, parent expectation and our own past experiences as students?

I like to think of myself as a non-typical teacher who really is reflective on my practices - and when I took this short quiz on Wisconsin Public Radio's site on learning myths I expected not to be too surprised.  Yet I missed two of the seven questions.  What I thought was fact - wasn't....

Which leads to a great reflection point - even after 12 years in the classroom it is so important to pause and reflect.  To think about why we do what we do based on true data - not perceived data.  Is what we are doing really helping students, or is it just part of other's expectations of teaching or our own experiences?

Lots of questions.  Those questions need reflection - that is what makes us and schools better.  Reflection is still the most important thing I do when thinking about curriculum and students. 

Finally - it is not one size fits all; every teacher must find their own answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment