Sunday, July 22, 2012

Who am I, Why blog, Accomplish What?!

I am a second career math teacher.  I spent about 12 years in engineering and management prior to teaching.  I have been teaching for 6 years -- all at Juda (in Wisconsin) -- High school enrollment of 95 students.

I believe that math is a method to make students into problem solvers and lifelong learners, I really like PBL ideas and use google docs to create a lot of my materials.

I am blogging with the hope of keeping myself moving and reflecting on what I am working on.  I hope to put things out there with the hope of refining ideas and materials.

I often see good blogs, but rarely from teachers who work in a rural situation.  The reality of a rural HS teacher is a huge class load and limited student count.  I had 8 preps last year but only 112 students (I usually have 7 but I teach Physics every other year).  This type of load makes a difference on how you prep, but there is a huge advantage that I know my students strengths and weaknesses.  (I think all schools should have teachers rotate classes and follow students -- a post for another time...)

I hope to post what I work on and the goals I have in this environment.  And eventually I hope for constructive words from people to make me a better teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment